Missions of the laboratory
TO DO IN BASIC, EXPERIMENTAL AND THEORETICAL RESEARCH OF COMPETETIVE RELEVANCE AT INTERNATIONAL LEVEL IN NUCLEAR PHYSICS AND RELATED FIELDS
TO BE OBTAIN RESULTS OF COMPETETIVE LEVEL AND DIRECT RELEVANCE FOR THE TECHNOLOGICAL, ECONOMIC, SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT AND LIFE QUALITY IN APPLIED RESEARCH AND NUCLEAR ENGINEERING
TO EXERCISE THE INSTITUTE’S FUNCTION OF NATIONAL NUCLEAR LABORATORY
TO FULFILL THE FUNCTION OF COMPETENT SOURCE OF KNOWLEDGE IN PHYSICS, TO ASSIST THE GOVERNANCE SYSTEM, THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM AND PUBLIC INFORMATION
• Research in own large installations and laboratories
• Research in large international cooperations where Romania is part: CERN, JINR Dubna, FAIR, ELI
• Research at other international centers
• In its own laboratories and installations.
• To maintain and operate Installations of
National Interest (7 installations) for open
access to national and international users
• Technologies to be transferred: so far technologies are mostly applied for/with outside users, rather than transferred
• Valorization/selling (to other labs or to industry) of products developed for our physics: N/A
• Creation of the CCTM: Center for Technology Transfer and Marketing
Bringing the intellectual property generated by the Research Infrastructure into public use as rapidly as possible while protecting academic and research freedom.
Establishing an active dialogue between academia and industry (through conferences, meetings, round tables etc.) in order to identify new business opportunities.
• Training courses : IFIN-HH has a unit that trains personnel working with radiations or radiation producing installations (for medicine, industry, etc.)
• Workshops: several/year (4 in 2016 so far)
• Expertises: many
KEY DATA (2016)
• Staff: 777
• Users: for accelerator facilities ~200. IFIN-HH has 5 low-energy accelerators: 3 Tandems: 9 MV, 3 MV and 1 MV max voltage, 2 cyclotrons. The latter four are mostly used for applications.
A PAC evaluates the proposals for experiments at the tandem accelerators. About 50% of the time was used in 2013-15 for international users at the 9 MV tandem. International user groups are being gathered for the 3 MV and 1 MV tandetrons.
IFIN-HH has an industrial level gamma-ray irradiator IRASM, ~400kCi Co-60 source used for:
- Sterilizations for medicine (medical devices, vials for pharma industry …)
- Disinfections and consolidation of cultural heritage items (wood, leather, paper, textiles…)
The 1 MV tandetron is a dedicated AMS machine, the basis for RoAMS, the internationally certifi ed radiocarbon laboratory of IFIN-HH.
The TR-19 cyclotron is dedicated to radiopharmaceutical research.
• Available Beams: at tandems: all, H to Au. Protons only at TR-19 cyclotron
• Scientific Production: 709 ISI publications in 2015
• Developmental projects: one large European project ELI-NP, at ~300M euros
- Microbiology and dosimetry tests for use in materials’ treatment with radiations IFIN-HH has a large program for the study and conservation of cultural heritage using modern physical & chemical techniques and engaging a large number of collaborators and users from socio-humanistic sciences, musea and cultural institutions.
A view of the accelerator mass Spectrometry Facility
HORIA HULUBEI NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR R&D
IN PHYSICS AND NUCLEAR ENGINEERING (IFIN - HH)
30 Reactorului str. Bucharest - Magurele, Ilfov,
P.O.BOX MG-6, RO-077125, ROMANIA