Missions of the laboratory
Irfu’s mission is to carry out – in conjunction with academia and the international scientific community – excellent research in the field of fundamental laws of the Universe, from the infinitely small to the infinitely large. It plays a leading role in the construction
of high technology instruments necessary to this research. Irfu shares its knowledge and knowhow with other CEA divisions, with French and international research organization, and with the industry. It contributes to the renown of CEA through its scientific collaborations, by sharing its knowledge, training junior researchers, and communicating on its research and the technologies it develops. Irfu has five operational objectives:
ADVANCING WORLDWIDE KNOWLEDGE OF THE FUNDAMENTAL LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE
THROUGH STUDIES OF THE UNIVERSE AT SMALL AND LARGE SCALE AND BY SEARCHING FOR THE RELATIONSHIP, ALL ALONG THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE, BETWEEN ELEMENTARY PARTICLES AND COMPLEX STRUCTURES.
COLLABORATING WITH THE BEST INTERNATIONAL TEAMS ON VERY LARGE RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURES.
DEVELOPING THE HIGH-TECH INSTRUMENTS NECESSARY TO RESEARCH IN THIS FIELD AND TO THE WHOLE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY.
TRANSFERRING KNOWLEDGE AND TECHNOLOGY TO THE INDUSTRY.
PARTICIPAITING IN THE RESEARCH COMMUNITY’S MISSIONS TO ENHANCE TRAINNING AND INFORMATION SHARING.
• Nuclear physics
• Particle physics
• Particle accelerators
• Large superconducting magnets
• Radiation detection
• Gaseous detectors with associated electronics and software for applications in security, medical imaging, geology, archeology, search for natural resources
• High-resolution PET Scan imaging
• Ultra high magnetic field superconducting magnets for MRI
• High-intensity accelerators
• Patents: 60 patents in detection systems, cryotechnologies and technologies for health
• Licensing: 112 software, 3 patent, 4 know-how licences in force
• Technologies to be transferred:
– Know-how on ion sources transferred to Pantechnik
– Collaboration with ELVIA on Micromegas technology
• One start-up company Posithot, producing positon generators for material analysis created
• Valorization/selling (to other labs or to industry) of products developed for our physics. Selling of AGET chips + DAQ software developed for gas detectors to ASICs to many labs in the world
Services that we could offer:
• Tests and measurements
KEY DATA (2016)
Staff: 600 permanent staff + 150 non permanent staff
Scientific Production (2012-2016): 4500 publications, 130 theses awarded
Projects since 2007: 50 ANR, 80 EC projects among which 16 ERC
2 EQUIPEX, 1, ERC, 6 ANR since 2007 – Coordination of large developmental european programs:
EURISOL, ENSAR – 11 MoU (Memorandum of Understanding), 6 LIA (Laboratoire
International Associé) ongoing
• Recognized as a Large-Scale European Research Infrastructure since 1995
• 2000 visitors per year
Phone : +33 (0)1 69 08 36 14
CEA Paris Saclay
Bât 141, PC 19
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex